The home selling process is often described as stressful, whether this is your first home or if you’ve done this before.
How will you know how to price your property? What are the steps involved? What is the current real estate market doing? Who will take care of the many transactional details? Should I sell or should I buy first?
These are some of the many questions we encounter every day from people like you who are excited about making their housing dreams come true, but who are concerned about how they’ll get there.
We at The Julie Kinnear Team have over forty years combined real estate experience working with sellers in all kinds of markets. Our expert negotiating skills, knowledge of homes, condos, construction, neighbourhoods, and administrative expertise ensure that you will receive world class service when working with us.
It's all about finding the right buyer
Our goal is to find the right buyer for you and we target our market specifically to find that buyer. We WILL get the most amount of money for you, with the least amount of hassles, We are the best and there IS a difference! 93 percent of our homes were sold within a 2 week period (based on the last 10 years). You can help us by filling in this What's important to you? form to improve the chances of finding the right buyer.
Why choose the Julie Kinnear Team? It's a much better experience
The limo experience is very different from a cab ride. You get first-class treatment. Yet often ordering a limo is no more expensive than taking a run down taxi.
Most REALTORS®, like taxi drivers, spend 80 to 90 percent of their time looking for new clients, we spend most of our time working with clients who were referred to us. The good thing is that it doesn't cost you any extra!
We want to be seen as trusted consultants who work hard and clients are important to them, not just as ordinary salespeople. While most agents work only for themselves and compete even within their own office, we work together as a team. Instead of wasting energy on competing, we use it to look out for the best interests of all our clients. This is the refreshing difference between us and those who only boast about their impressive numbers.
Pictures help sell your property!
The first formal step in marketing your property is to enter into a Listing Agreement – a contract that commits the Julie Kinnear team to actively market your home for a specified period of time. The listing agreement outlines the rights & responsibilities of both parties.
More buyers than ever search the internet looking for houses. This is why we focus on getting you complete exposure for your property.
YOUR HOME'S OWN WEB PAGE
- One of the most unique and effective marketing strategies we use is designing a personal web page for your house/condo. Here is an example juliekinnear.com/toronto-houses/134-leacrest-road-1/
- We will promote your address in newspaper ads and feature it on all of our correspondence (including our JKT newsletter).
- There will be a link from our website to this address.
- Far more buyers will see your home without even leaving their computer. So much interest is generated this way that we have far more showings on our listings than the average real estate team.
YOUR PROPERTY’S WEB PAGE WILL FEATURE:
- Full colour digital photos and floor plans of the rooms
- A link to the Virtual Tour that we make for you
- A link to your personal YouTube video
If you want to attract as many potential buyers as possible, you have to present your home in the best possible way. High quality pictures that highlight the best features of your property are priceless.
ADVERTISING ON THE WEB
OPEN HOUSE - ADVERTISED ONLINE
When you list with us, any upcoming Open Houses will be advertised online to attract buyers from out of town. Your Open House will be listed on our mls.ca, juliekinnear.com, LovelyTorontoCondos.com, LovelyTorontoHomes.com, REALTOR.ca, and www.kwnr.ca. As your real estate team, we will hold a special open house just for other REALTORS®. We regularly update an address list of all the agents who do business in your area, and we send them a colourful invitation via e-mail to attend your open house!
Find out more about our marketing strategy here.
Price your house right the first time or you're in big trouble
The most important decision we will make is determining the right asking price for your property. Once we have achieved a realistic list price, you can expect to sell your home for the best possible price in the least amount of time. The closer to market value the price is, the higher offers it attracts. A well-priced property can receive multiple competing offers.
DETERMINE THE VALUE OF YOUR PROPERTY
The market ultimately determines the true value of your property. Before we compare your home to similar homes/units and establish a competitive list price, the following points will be considered:
- Community amenities
- Buyer supply
- Financing options
Contact us for a Free Home Evaluation and find out what your home is worth on the open market.
Price it right or don't sell at all
You may think that interested buyers can always make an offer but if the property is overpriced, potential buyers looking in a lower price range will never see it.
As soon as a property comes on the market, there is a flurry of activity surrounding it. This is the crucial time when REALTORS® and potential buyers sit up and take notice. If the property is overpriced, it doesn't take long for interested parties to lose interest. By the time the price drops, a majority of buyers are lost.
The following are some of the reasons that sellers may have for wishing to inflate the price of their property:
- Extensive renovations/hidden costs
- Desire to purchase in a higher-priced area
- Original cost of the property was too high
- Lack of real market information
- Building in "bargaining room"
- Perceived "emotional value" (e.g. the house where your first child was born
THE RESULT OF OVERPRICING
- Many sellers believe that if they price their property high initially, they can lower it later.
- Often, when a home is priced too high, it experiences little activity. Gradually the price will come down to market value, but by that time it's been for sale too long and some buyers will be wary and reject the property.
- On occasion, the price is dropped below market value because the seller runs out of time. The property then sells for less than its worth.
Learn how to price right from our manual.
Looking for results? We give results
As a home owner, we know how important the bottom line is to you when selling your home. You are looking for results.
In 2014, while the Toronto Real Estate Board's average was 99%. That means if your property was listed with The Julie Kinnear Team at $600,000 you'd get, on average, $652,200. If you listed with another TREB realtor you'd only get an average of $594,000.
In 2014, The Julie Kinnear Team's properties stayed on the market for an average of just 9 days, while the Toronto Real Estate Board's average was 27 days! That means less stress and hassle for you, fewer people coming in and out of your home, and less disruption to your schedule. It also means you will save $$ in taxes and operating expenses carrying two homes if you have already bought. Bottom line, it means peace of mind.
It has to be neat and trimmed and looking pretty!
To make a lasting first impression, you only need to perform some simple tasks to make the outside of your home look as appealing as the inside!
CHECK THE MAJOR SYSTEMS:
After size, style and location, a home buyer’s primary concern is the condition of the basic structure and major electro-mechanical systems. A thorough (professional if needed) investigation of the following major items should be made to determine if they are serviceable:
- Roof structure & covering
- Foundation, basement and/or crawlspace
- Central heating, ventilation & air conditioning
- Electrical & Plumbing System
- Install smoke detectors
- Ensure adequate outdoor lighting
- GFCI’ outlets outdoors & in wet locations such as bath and laundry areas
- Leave plenty of clearance around garage door, electrical panels & furnace
These important safety precautions which home buyers will appreciate are relatively easy to implement and will create a great impression.
PREPARE FOR THE HOME INSPECTION
More and more purchasers are requesting pre-purchase home inspections. It’s a good idea to assemble in advance the various house records that can be used to answer questions from the purchaser’s inspector.
Learn more about Preparing Your Home for Sale.
TIPS & TRICKS:
- In the spring and summer, cut back overgrown shrubs that may hide the house. Potential buyers will be driving by. If the exterior is attractive they’ll want to explore further.
- Water the lawn in summer to create a green, fresh outdoor environment. Keep it neatly trimmed and as weed-free as possible.
- Place hanging baskets of garden annuals on the front porch to add colour.
- Keep the walk and drive clear, ice-free and shovelled in winter.
- Clean up any oil spills on your driveway with drain cleaner.
- Clean gutters of debris and leaves, repair or replace cracked or broken gutters, downspouts and extensions to ensure proper drainage.
- Remove toys, bikes, garbage cans and other unnecessary items from the front yard and driveway.
- Organize the garage, storing items at a helpful relative’s house.
- Make sure the doorbell or knocker works & tighten loose door knobs.
- Paint the front door and entryway a matching colour.
- Have windows cleaned & use your best blinds, drapes or curtains. Apply new weatherstripping as needed around windows.
- Replace damaged screens.
- Turn on the porch and/or driveway lights for evening appointments.
- Secure loose railings
Know what you can expect on the investment you've put into your home
When you decide to renovate you home before selling it, you should have an idea what return you can expect on the investment you have put into your house over the years. In our guide, we show you the value and payback potential of the renovations in order of importance so that you know what your priorities should be.
Anyone who's owned a home can attest to the ongoing maintenance, time and expense involved in keeping it in good condition, not to mention the renovations you may have completed.
Find out the Value of Your Renovations.
The first impressions a potential buyer will experience involve sight, smell, sound and feel
It is important to appeal to as many senses as possible, as often buyers are not able to see past the cosmetic features to the excellent qualities your home may possess.
PLEASE CHECK THAT THESE ARE DONE BEFORE ANY SHOWINGS:
- Drapes open
- Lights left on (as many as possible)
- Clutter concealed in out-of-the-way places (try putting loose clothes & toys into a plastic bin, then putting the bin under the bed)
- Display pictures of the garden in bloom
- Kitty litter scooped & odour free
- Fresh air (potpourri/fresh flowers/air sponge)
- No cooking smells (fish, curry, garlic)
- Baking smells/fresh baked cookies/coffee brewing
- Stairways clear of objects
- Classical or light jazz music playing
- Television off (poses a distraction)
- Barking dogs/noisy pets out of the way
- Bathroom & fixtures sparkling
Other Showing Tips:
- Buyers and REALTORS® are busy. The less flexible you are with your showing schedule, the fewer buyers will look at your home.
- Take a walk during showings, as most buyers feel more at ease when they can wander through and discover the home on their own, without being seen or heard.
- Never apologize for the appearance of your home if you haven't covered all these bases – it will only call attention to the condition of your home.
- We will put signs up around your home to highlight any positive traits that might not easily be seen as well as caution potential buyers such as "Watch your Head" if there is a low ceiling or advising them of a step.
- Please let us know about any potential hazards in your home.
What to do when an offer comes in
The offer is a legal document which specifies the terms and conditions of the buyer's offer to purchase your home.
The buyer's agent will present the buyer's offer, also known as an APS (Agreement of Purchase & Sale) to us on their client's behalf, and then we will respond with a counter offer. Sometimes there may be more than one offer on your property coming in at the same time (a multiple offer situation). The team will guide you through this process.
Julie Kinnear Team Easy Exit Guarantee
If, for any reason you are not 100% satisfied with the service you are receiving, you may immediately end our agreement with a written notice.
If you are hesitant or sceptical, the Easy Exit Guarantee will put you at ease. Of course, we wouldn’t make such a guarantee unless we were certain that you will be thrilled with our performance. We take all of the risk - not you!
You have nothing to lose and everything to gain!
Learn more about Selling Your Home in Toronto.